PG&E is proposing some changes to how they treat the solar user. They are hoping to increase the costs of using solar as an alternative option to the services they provide.
PG&E wants to now charge an additional Interconnection Fee or “Application
& Study Fee”
- Currently there is no fee to have your home solar array to be turned on and tied in with the PG&E grid.
- This new proposed fee may vary depending on how large your solar system will be. The fee could start at $100 and could go upwards of $1,600.
PG&E wants to increase the base metering fee.Currently charging $10
per month for the standard meter on everyone’s home.
- With the new proposal, if your peak Kilowatt (not to be confused with Kilowatt Hour) usage multiplied by $3 is higher than $10; then that would be the new meter charge you could incur.
PG&E wants to no longer match 1 for 1 banked credits
- Currently matching directly 1 Credit banked for 1 Credit of future use.
With the new proposal you could receive a credit now based on time the
energy is banked.
- This could significantly vary depending on the time of day and year the credit was received.
PG&E wants to move all customers to a time of use rate program, and
redefine the time of use profiles. Wants to change rates from Tiers to
Time of Use
- They’re compressing the 4 tiers of pricing originally designed to encourage energy conservation into 2, which ultimately drives up baseline energy cost and reduces the financial benefit of solar.
- Current time of use profiles are structured with late morning thru early evening being the highest rate periods. Which currently allows solar to be compensated at the higher rate when during its most productive time of the day. The new proposed time schedule will make the most expensive energy during the evening time
PG&E wants to change the True Up Bill to monthly instead of yearly
Currently banking and rolling Credits over for a year, which is perfect
- Solar produces more energy in the summer than in the winter. Currently credits are banked from the summertime to use in the winter time at no cost.
With a change to Month to Month, at the end of each month you would cash
out your credits or owe for usage pulled from PG&E.
- You could no longer bank the excess in summer for the deficits of winter.
- Currently banking and rolling Credits over for a year, which is perfect for solar.